Friday, July 31, 2009

Online Astronomy






I'm sure most of you have heard about SETI@home a downloadable screen saver that using your computer to decode radio signals for a search for extraterrestrial live... more at http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_about.php

Today, I found something more hands on and in the realm of actual astronomy! You might have heard of it..Galaxy Zoo. At Galaxy Zoo you can register and get training on classifying galaxies for the Sloan Digital Sky Survey. I found it a load of fun and something I will do on cloudy nights. I was classifying galaxies about 10 minutes after registering. So far I have done over 700!
Check it out.
http://galaxyzoo.org/

According to their website:
Galaxy Zoo was launched in 2007. Twenty-four hours after it's launch the site was receiving 70,000 classifications per hour. This rate mystified the Galaxy Zoo team. Thanks to amateur efforts many papers have be published and they have been successful at getting time on research telescopes to follow up on data collected through the site.

0 comments: